Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Project Begins!

This week, I am actually starting the project - Mr. Calos and I set up my experiment station downstairs of Weaver. I then started researching about the determination of gender for pill bugs. I interestingly found out that male pill bug has a pair of long blade-like appendages near its hind legs while female does not. The way to know that is to hold the bug gently and turn it upside down to check. Here is the link as to where I got the information: http://snailstales.blogspot.com/2008/02/is-it-boy-or-girl.html. I then moved on to observe some of the pill bugs; I was not able to get one by just using my hands, so I will have to use some forceps to help me. Before my next meeting, I will have to look for some published books that discuss about pill bug’s sexual behaviors, and learn more.
Here is a picture of what a male pill bug will look like:

1 comment:

  1. Nice update on your work.

    Remember to cite sources for other people's work, like this picture.

    ReplyDelete