Thursday, March 22, 2012

Found Babies!

It's after break - that means it's the time to start off the real thing! Well, before then, I of course have to take care of what was left off and be prepared to start everything the week after. Over the two weeks of vacation, I was researching about pill bug pregnancy. Here's what I found. Pill bugs eggs are stored in the brood poutch of the mother for a period of time (approximately 1 month) before being hatched. To know if the female pill bug is pregnant or not, you will see white patches near the hind legs area.

Here's a picture of what a pregnant pill bug looks like:

This is just the early stage of pregnancy...

and this is definitely what is called "a later stage of pregnancy".

Now that I returned with more knowledge on pill bug's reproduction cycle, I shall proceed. One great news for me (or even maybe you) when I check my pre-experimental tanks...There are egg shells lying all over the box! Which means...the mommy-pill bug gave birth! The parents are placed in the box for about one month, exactly about the time the offspring would be born. How great! This perfectly works out as how I wanted it to, postive sign to move forward and get the real experiment going.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Beatrice. You provide useful details, and the pictures are wonderful. I especially like how you describe the state of your work, and write about future steps. Keep up this kind of effort!

    ReplyDelete