Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cycle 1!

This week is the first week of cycle 1, which is planned for everything to settle and stay in the initial setting, with no inferference except continual spraying for a moist environment and feeding. To continue on my last blog record, I sex-ed bugs to complete my set up to have 14 females and 2 males in #1-8. All of the bugs in #2-4 and #6-8 are placed in on April 10, 2012, which means cycle 2 starts on April 17th for them. With #1 and #5, they are kept the same since the start of the experiment, so despite the fact that their cycles started on April 5th, it is all right for them to stay for the four cycles. As for all other bugs, I placed the other sex-ed males in a colony tank and some of the ones are left unsex-ed in another colony because they hid under soil. However, I found some babies in that tank, they are tiny in size compare to grown pill bugs, about 2mm long and 1mm wide. Their bodies are transparent but their structures are already developed.

Here's a picture of the baby pill bug that I isolated and placed into a petri dish:

I have seen a couple more babies in the un-sexed colony tank, exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment