Thursday, April 5, 2012

Official Start of Cycles!

The bugs came in on yesterday, I placed them all in a "colony tank" and sorted them out today. Unlike last time, there are a lot more males than females, which is a big CHALLENGE because I need more females than males. I ended up only being able to start #1 and #5 with four females. For all #1-8, I sprayed 30 times because they seem to be drying out faster than I expected. Throughout this and the coming week, I will be sexing more and continue taking care of the rest of the sex-ed bugs.

Here's me looking into the microscope and waiting for them to expose their hind legs:

Fun observation: pill bugs get "impatient" under the light as they struggle to escape from it.
Sexing them takes less time now, even though it still requires about 1-2 minutes per bug.

1 comment:

  1. Great picture of you "in action!" This would make a wonderful addition to your poster.

    I like how you are improving your experimental skills. You are becoming a gender determining expert!!

    ReplyDelete